Do you know lamingtons? If you don't let me tell you that if you are a chocolate-coconut flavor sucker, you might get addict of these decadent cakes.
I remember the first time I ate lamingtons in Australia, I was surprised both by their delicate taste and how light their were !
And let me warn you, you might get addicted...
Makes around 15 lamingtons :
225 gr flour
225 gr flour
125 gr sugar
1 vanilla sugar packet
1/2 dry yeast packet
125 gr butter
1 pinch of salt
Chocolate & coconut icing
400 gr icing sugar
115 gr cocoa powder
10 cl lukewarm water
100 gr melted butter
150 gr shredded coconut
* Preheat your oven on 180°C.
* In a big bowl whisk the eggs until foamy and thick. Add the sugars while whisking.
* In an other bowl mix together flour, dry yeast and salt.
* Sift them over the eggs mixture and stir well.
* Melt the butter and pour it into the mixture, stir to combine.
* Pour a 23 x 23 cm non sticky square mold with the dough (or a round one, like I did. You will just have to cut the sides out to make a square cake) and bake for 35 minutes or until a stick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clear.
* Allow to cool completely then cut your cake into roughly 4-5cm squares.
* In a large bowl mix the stiffed cocoa powder and icing sugar with the lukewarm water. Add the melted butter and mix well.
* Pour the shredded coconut into a small bowl.
* Dip a square sponge cake into the chocolate icing then toss it into the shredded coconut and allow to solidify on a wire rack.
* Repeat with the other sponge cake squares.
* Enjoy once the chocolate icing has totally solidify !
... FOLLOW ME ON ...